Practical Advice for Nonprofit Organizations
Planting The Seed: Nonprofit Formation
A thoughtfully crafted formation process allows you to devote more time and money toward your mission
You have a fabulous idea to serve a need in your community but need assistance in forming a nonprofit organization. That’s where Concerto Law comes in. I help you choose the appropriate business structure, file your formation documents, draft bylaws and governance documents, apply for tax-exempt status and many of the other un-sexy and complicated tasks of forming a nonprofit.
I will guide your Pennsylvania nonprofit through the formation process, including these services:
- Business entity selecton
- Penna. Enterprise Registration (PA-100)
- Obtaining a Federal EIN
- Corporate governance policies
- Employee Handbooks
- Volunteer policies
- Industry licensing requirements
- Intellectual property protection
- Tax-exemption applications (IRS Forms 1023 and 1024)
- Charity registration requirements
- and more
I make this as painless as possible so you can focus on running your business. With my quick turnaround, your new business can be up and running in no time.
Identify your risk tolerance and manage risk within your comfort level
Tax matters, generally dreaded by the public, are actually one of favorite legal matters to work on. With my experience navigating the federal tax laws and Pennsylvania tax-exempt requirements, I can guide you through these confusing and difficult processes. For example:
- Filing for recognition of tax-exemption
- Reinstatement of tax-exemption
- IRS Form 990 advice
- Charitable Funds Solicitation Compliance
- Small Games of Chance Licenses
- Sales Tax Exemption applications
Though nonprofits often mirror the business world, governance is one of those pesky areas in which the rules are difference. Do you understand conflicts of interest, the duty of loyalty, and the duty of care? Smart organizations look to Concerto Law to ensure compliance with these governance matters.
- Bylaws drafting and review
- Duty of Care and Duty of Loyalty compliance
- Conflict of Interest policies, management, and advice
Nonprofit organizations do not operate much differently from for-profit organizations. Smart nonprofits will manage their risks and contracts just as diligently as for-profit businesses. I help nonprofits manage their operations with legal contracts crafted specifically for their industry and risk-tolerance.
- Employment Agreements
- Independent Contractor Agreements
- Purchase Order Agreements
- Software as a Service Agreements
- Intellectual Property Licenses
- Landlord-Tenant Leases
- Agreements with other nonprofits
- and many more
Successful nonprofits learn how to evaluate and respond to risk. Let me help you identify and navigate the risks.
Access On-Demand General Counsel
On-call attorney advice when you don’t have a staff attorney
Nonprofits face just as much (or maybe even more) pesky legal issues as for-profit businesses. Don’t go it alone. I serve as your outside general counsel (aka attorney-on-call) and I save you time and money so you can move on with your mission. Located in Warren, Pennsylvania, Concerto Law serves nonprofits across all Western Pennsylvania. With remote technology you can be assured of a quick response.
Some services your Pennsylvania nonprofit might need are:
- Internal Governance Documents
- Contract Review, Drafting and Negotiation
- Business and Residential Leases
- Independent Contractor Compliance
- Protecting Your Intellectual Property
- Employee Handbooks
- Volunteer Handbooks
- Tax Compliance
- Charity Compliance
- Random Legal Issues that arise
Don’t go it alone. I fill the gap when in-house counsel is not feasible or necessary.
Transition To The Next Phase
Smart organizations plan for succession and transition
Founders depart. Key employees and management teams change. Sometimes your mission changes or support for your organization wanes. Maybe you accomplished your goals and do not know where to go next. I guide you through the legal complexities of these transitions.
- Mission & Purpose Transition
- Executive Transition
- Entity Transition To A New Purpose
- Entity Dissolution and Winding Up Business
Don’t just wing it or rely on advice you find on the internet. Let Concerto Law successfully guide you through your transition.