Practical Advice for Businesses, Freelancers, and Nonprofit Organizations
Start Your Business
I make this as painless as possible so you can focus on running your business
Choosing the appropriate business structure, filing formation documents, drafting operating and shareholder agreements are just some of the fundamental but un-sexy decisions involved in launching your business.
I will guide you through the formation process, including these services:
- Business Selection and Formation
- Agreements With Your Co-owners
- Penna. Enterprise Registration (PA-100)
- Obtaining a Federal EIN
- Corporate Governance Policies
- Employee Handbooks
- Industry Licensing Requirements
- Intellectual Property
- Tax-exemption Applications (IRS Forms 1023 and 1024)
I make this as painless as possible so you can focus on running your business. With my quick turnaround, your new business can be up and running in no time.
Manage Your Risk
Contracts are about recognizing and managing risk within your comfort level
I help businesses and nonprofit organize their operations with legal contracts crafted specifically for their industry and risk-tolerance.
- Employment Agreements
- Independent Contractor Agreements
- Purchase Order Agreements
- Software as a Service Agreements
- Intellectual Property Licenses
- Landlord-Tenant Leases
- Agreements among business partners
- and many more
Business is all about evaluating and responding to risk. Let me help you identify and navigate the risks.
Protect Your Brand
Protect your most valuable asset
I help businesses, freelancers, and nonprofits protect their brand through strategic trademark and copyright services.
It may be a simple as filing for a trademark or copyright.
Perhaps you find someone infringing on your creative work, your name, your brand. Concerto Law advises you on the appropriate response to these situations.
Amplify your brand through strategic trademark and copyright protection.
Access On-Demand General Counsel
On-call attorney advice when you don’t have a staff attorney
Your encounter those day-to-day legal issues that require a quick response, particularly in the area of contracts, regulatory compliance, licensing, and those pesky HR issues. I serve as your outside general counsel (aka attorney-on-call) and I save you time and money so you can move on with your business.
- Internal Governance Documents
- Contract Review, Drafting and Negotiation
- Business and Residential Leases
- Independent Contractor Compliance
- Protecting Your Intellectual Property
- Random Legal Issues that arise
Don’t go it alone. I fill the gap when in-house counsel is not feasible or necessary.
Transition To The Next Phase
Smart businesses plan for succession and transition
Unfortunately, most business owners enjoy business and succession planning about as much as a trip to the dentist or the estate planner. I help you sell your business, transfer ownership, or close the business. Sometimes, all you need is proactive legal analysis and planning for the future.
- Shareholder Agreements
- Buy-sell Agreements
- Business Entity Dissolution
For nonprofit organizations: Founders depart. Key employees and management teams change. Sometimes your mission changes or support for your organization wanes. Maybe you accomplished your goals and do not know where to go next. I guide you through the legal complexities of these transitions.
Nonprofits: Like a business . . . but different
Nonprofit organizations face unique business challenges
Nonprofits are a business, but different. In addition to general business matters, they face challenges relating to governance, taxation, fundraising, regulatory compliance, and managing a largely volunteer workforce.
Tax matters, generally dreaded by the public, are actually one of favorite legal matters to work on. With my experience negotiating the federal tax laws and Pennsylvania tax-exempt requirements, I can guide you through these confusing and difficult processes.
- Filing for recognition of tax-exemption
- Reinstatement of tax-exemption
- IRS Form 990 counsel
- Charitable Funds Solicitation Compliance
- Small Games of Chance Licenses
- Sales Tax Exemption applications
Though nonprofits often mirror the business world, governance is one of those pesky areas in which the rules are difference.
- Bylaws drafting and review
- Duty of Care and Duty of Loyalty compliance
Transition and Change
Founders depart, key employees and management teams change. Sometimes your mission changes, support for your organization wanes, or you accomplished your goals. I can guide you through the legal complexities of these transitions.
- Mission & Purpose Transition
- Executive Transition
- Entity Transition To A New Purpose
- Entity Dissolution and Winding Up Business